/>

April 20, 2013

Delirium by Lauren Oliver


Delirium (Delirium, #1)Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Review by Max

Lena's grown up being positive of one thing and one thing only: Don't fall in love.
Not only is love dangerous, it's disease, and if you catch it, well, you're basically screwed.

With ninety-five days until she gets the cure, Lena couldn't be any more excited. She'll finally be normal, like everyone else. She'll finally be safe.
And then, Lena does the unthinkable.
She falls in love.



After reading Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver, I guess you could say that I had fallen in love with Oliver's writing and I strived to get my hands on anything else by her that I could find.
Delirium did not disappoint.

One of the things I really like about Oliver's writing is how she weaved in her poetic-ness with just enough writer magic to make it seem like it was on accident. I liked it because it read beautifully while staying realistic.

I loved loved loved the characters in this book. Lena was a heroine without being a heroine. She wasn't exactly an action-ey type of protagonist, but the fact that she revolts against she government and all the other type of stuff you're bound to find in a dystopian amazed me and I found myself admiring her while I read this book.

All of the other characters are great. You're bound to fall in love with the love interest, Alex, who shows Lena a whole different world. Hana, Lena's best friend, is bound to make you laugh and she even has an E-book named after her that you should totally check out when you're done reading Delirium. Lena's little cousin was one of my favorite characters, even though she only said one word throughout the whole book.

Unlike all of the dystopian YA books I've ever read (which are a lot, let me tell you), Oliver incorporated things that we have today, like Jell-O and cellphones. These everyday items gave the book sort of an eerie feeling, like that just maybe love could be considered a disease one day.

Let's hope not.

All in all, I give this book 4 and 1/2 stars (aka, it was pretty stinking awesome.)

Fly on,
Max



No comments:

Post a Comment