/>

September 27, 2014

Soundtrack Saturday #1: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

Hi everybody! Cassia here! Just a little introduction to the first one before I actually start the post. I'll be doing this meme weekly, unless Max or Tessa want to do it every once in a while. Also, we now have a Spotify account! The account will be managed by Max and I, and I'll kind of "take charge" of it since she's already doing Pinterest. So go follow us on Spotify @ crazyforya !

This is a meme hosted by Erin @ The Hardcover Lover. In this meme, I make a soundtrack of about 15 or 20 songs for a book I recently read, provide brief descriptions of the songs and what I feel they represent, and I'll have a link to the Spotify playlist.





The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

"Hello, Brooklyn" by All Time Low
 This song represents Coldtowns--big cities, partying all night long.
"Burning Bright" by Shinedown
Tana's life before the party at Lance's house. She mentions that before the party, she never really felt alive, like she was hiding and distant from the world.
"I Get Off" by Halestorm
For Tana and Aidan, and their relationship. This song perfectly describes it.
"Prosthetic Head" by Green Day
Not relating to this book, this song is about celebrities, how the narrator thinks they're all fake. Relating to the book, it represents Lucien and his publicity, in regards to what the song is actually about.
"Viva la Vida" by Coldplay
This is the first of many on this playlist about Gavriel. For me, this one represents his "fall from grace," so to speak; how he changed when he was physically changed into a vampire.
"Stay Awake" by All Time Low
This is how Tana survives throughout the book. I picked this one mainly for the title, because that's Tana's mantra, but the song also goes with how Tana keeps herself alive.
"Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence
 What Winter and Midnight believe the Cold will do for them.
"Shed Some Light" by Shinedown

This is the only one I picked for Aidan specifically, and to me, this is him crying out to Tana. He's so scared, and doesn't want her to abandon him.
"Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day
Another one for Gavriel. :) This one describes his life: he walks alone.
"Breaking Inside" by Shinedown
Throughout the book, a lot of times, Tana feels as if she's losing it. This one is about that.
"I'm Not Alright" by Shinedown
This song is hilarious, and insane, and is a perfect fit for Gavriel. If you only have time to listen to one song on this playlist, listen to this one.
"21 Guns" by Green Day
This song is another one about Tana, about how broken she is, how she never really healed from what happened to her as a little girl. It's also about her fight to feel whole and alive again.
"Hallelujah" by Rufus Wainwright
Gavriel really is a broken "hallelujah." Behind his insanity, this is him.
"Peacemaker" by Green Day
For me, this describes Gavriel's life before the book: a vendetta, and utter craziness.
"The Forgotten" by Green Day
This is for both Tana and Gavriel. Here's how I imagine it in my head: Gavriel is singing the verse, about how lost and hopeless he is, and Tana is there singing the chorus to him, telling him not to run away, not to be afraid. I picture them singing it at the end of the book.


Hope you all enjoyed the first Soundtrack Saturday! A review of this book is coming soon. Let me know what you think of the songs I chose and any suggestions you might have in the comments!
Goodbye for now,
Cassia 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for participating, Cassia!

    I haven't read this book, and I'm thinking that I won't, but it's cool to see what you've thought of here. You've got some really good songs that I love! :)

    This longer, full soundtrack format is how I originally wanted to set up the meme, but I thought no one would want to do it. Eventually, it's where I plan on taking it - once more people find out about it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope more people do; it's a great idea. I love doing it! It combines two of my favorite things: music and books. :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh I love this, listening to these soundtracks right now!<3
    June
    The Journeys' of my beating heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a new spotify playlist -- I'm listening to now!

    Coldest Girl in Coldtown has been on my to-read list for awhile. I am adding your blog to my feedly so I can get your review when it comes out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm planning to have it up this week. Thanks for stopping by!
      Cassia

      Delete
  4. Perfect music choices. I remember as I was reading TCGIC, I was getting that sort of Twilight music effect. Especially the romantic parts!!!!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had to put "The Forgotten" on there. I was hesitant to put it on because it's on the Twilight soundtrack, but it fit. There weren't many romantic parts, but they were so good. :) Thanks for reading!
      Cassia

      Delete
  5. Ooh great choices! I'm listening to this now :) on audiobook! Really liking this so far.
    Following you now. I love your blog header. Is it a new blog?

    -Diamond @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Our blog is not new (it is about 1.5 years old), but we really started to put more effort into it this summer.

      Delete