/>

April 10, 2018

Books I Loved but Will Never Revisit


Top Ten Tuesday is a list-based meme hosted by the amazing Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl. If the meme sounds familiar, it was formerly hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

My "to-re-read" shelf on Goodreads is pretty much bare with a mere 12 books. Personally, I am not a huge fan of re-reading. In the end, the act of reading a story for a second or third time mostly seems like a waste of time to me when there are plenty of other books I need to read. If I had all of the time in the world, then I would gladly re-read to my heart's desire. Unfortunately, my reading time is limited and I like to dedicate that time to exploring new worlds.

Despite my stance against re-reading, there are only a handful of books that I would never consider re-reading.




Ruined Series


1. Mara Dyer Series by Michelle Rodkin

Originally, I really loved the mystery of this series that promised dark secrets and hidden sins. However, as the series went on, I realized that I was never going to get the answers that I wanted. Overall, I was extremely disappointed with the vague conclusion to the series, which left all of the suspenseful mystery of the first two books unfulfilled. Now that I know there is no closure in sight with the series, I will not pick it up again.

2. Divergent by Veronica Roth


Yes, Divergent is one of my favorite series. Yes, Tris is one of the YA characters who I identify with the most. Yes, Four was my first serious book boyfriend. But, no, I will not re-read the series. With the knowledge about how the whole series ends in Allegiant, I cannot go back to my beloved young Tris without lamenting over what I know will happen. It is like watching The Titanic even though you know the ship is going to sink--the only thing that you have in store is heartbreak and disappointment.

3. Splintered by A. G. Howard

In this instance, I am going to be petty--I will not re-read this series because my ship sunk, kinda. The ending of this series was complicated and very much a cop-out in my opinion. The entirety of the first and second books focused on the conflict of the romance, which was completely thrown away in the end. Just like the Mara Dyer series, I was ultimately disappointed with the ending.




Old Faves that Might not Be Faves Anymore


4. Alphas Series by Lisi Harrison

There was a time in my life when all I would read was The Clique and the Alphas. Now, I could not be more glad that that phase in my life is over. Reading these books was like reading a soap opera set in a high school. There were so many episodes, so many characters, and so much drama. Young Tessa was intrigued by the drama, but I know see most of it as cliche and better suited to an audience going through high school. This is just one of those series that I feel that I have outgrown. 

5. The Selection Series by Kiera Cass

No one re-watches The Bachelor. Once you know how terrible all of the contestants are and which terrible person finally gets the guy, your investment in the show is over. In my mind, The Selection is the YA equivalent of The Bachelor, but with princes. The story is light, fluffy, and entertaining without straining your brain. Even though there is nothing wrong with light reads, they don't tend to be the ones that I go back to read again. I know who gets the guy, and that is pretty much all there was to the story. 

6. The Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson

If you have not noticed the trend, I tend to get picky about the ending of series. Even though I have never read Maximum Ride Forever, I did read Nevermore when it came out and it was proclaimed the last of the Max Ride books. 


Fads that I am Over


7. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Vampires aren't cool anymore. I loved the series in the moment, but I am just not that interested in vampires anymore. The trope has become stale as the same stories and stereotypes were constantly played out. Even though Vampire Academy was one of the more unique interpretations of vampire lore, I have very little patience for blood-suckers these days. (Plus, just going to say, the movie was terrible).

8. Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

See above.

9. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Confession: I stopped reading stories in the Shadowhunter world after City of Heavenly Fire. I loved The first three books in The Mortal Instruments series and The Infernal Devices is still one of my favorite series. However, I don't have the attention or stamina to keep up with the short stories, spin-offs, and endless additions to the story anymore. There came a point when the world was no longer novel to me, so I am going to maintain the rose-tinted view I have of the series without forcing myself into the world again.

10. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


Like vampires, angels have faded out of favor in YA. And without the angels, Hush, Hush does not have much to offer. I am just going to let my fond memories of Patch stay in my memory without potentially ruining them with a re-read.


Do you re-read books regularly? If so, how do you find the time?!?! Are there any books that you know you will never re-read? Leave your Top Ten Tuesday links in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment